Thursday, October 22, 2015

A letter to those in high school marching band


High school marching band was something that defined me. I went to all the events - contest, football games here and away, pep rallies, etc. I held leadership positions. I made my high school career committed to the band life. There are many like myself that find marching band to be their safe grounds where they have others there to support them and laugh with them. It's a team essentially. One thing I did not understand as a high school student in band is the lack of recognition the band received. I was always troubled at how the band was successful and won many awards but was second to the athletics department. 

In high school there seemed to be a division between those in athletics and band. Neither liked each other. The band kids normally dogged on the football team for "not being very good" or bashed the spirit squads for being "revealing". The same happened in direction towards the bandees saying that we are "nerds". Yet almost every Friday night they all came together for football. 

Now that I am in a college band, I have had many of these issues come to light, but my perspective has changed. I want my high school band friends to take the things I've learned into consideration:

1. The band is there to support our teams to victory.

I know a lot of us do not want to hear this, but if it were not for the football team the band would be limited. The reason the band goes to the games is not to perform at half time - anyone can do that - but to cheer our teammates to victory. We are teamed together with the spirit squads to bring spirit to our team by pumping our fans and students up. If we fail to bring the highest level of support to our team, then no matter how good the half time performance is, we have failed. 

2. Peace between football and band.

The only way to end the "rivalry" between football and band is to uplift each other and honestly, that starts with whoever is going to be the bigger person. I would hope that would be my fellow bandees, but I have faith in the football players. 

3. Not everyone is going to "play nice".

Some people are just going put you into a stereotype. Some people are going to call the band kids a nerds, but you cannot let that bother you. There are going to be people who are rude to band kids, but I am going to use the "kill them with kindness", maybe it will change their mind about those band kids. The first week I was in college, I told a newly freshman guy I was in band, he made fun of me, but anyone else I have told thinks it is super cool!

4. Being in band is cool.

What we do is so cool. Bandees make pictures whiling playing music and counting in their heads. All memorized. Plus, we have to do it perfectly or we could pull a K-State (too soon?). The experience of playing in a stadium like Boone Pickens is so amazing. I want my high school bandees to know how cool band is in college. Stick to it. 

And the role of marching band does differ a lot from high school. High school involves contest while college typically does not. Aside from that, we all have a purpose. Which is honestly to support our teams and make it FUN for the team, the spirit squads, the students, the fans, and most importantly yourself. That's something to take pride in. 




Katie Joye

No comments:

Post a Comment